- Incoming of women to the police station is depending on police approach; they have to treat them politely and have to build confidence among them. Police should be ready to file FIR in needed circumstances without any uncertainty. This workshop really used to discuss with police officials that important information. –Inspector Mr. Balachandran
- Police official role and Protection officer role is very essential to decrease violence against women. This workshop gave valuable ideas to participants. We need more group discussions on that – Protection Officer Mr. Ravisankar.
- “This is first time we were participated such debate with Police officials. It is useful to know about difficulties of police officials and impacts of lack of legal knowledge of women survivors”
- Jothi (Leader of “Ariur Pengal Pagutharivu Paralumandram”
- This sensitization programme was given satisfied information, we request you to give such awareness for agricultural also”
- “This workshop really teaches us about gender discrimination at various levels. We should want to change to protect our women”
- We people came to know about the Domestic Violence act. If we have awareness on that earlier we can lost our life, but now it is very useful for my children’s for future. It is useful meeting you conducted here.
- We were got very useful information regarding gender equality here. We people were should understand the social status of women for creating healthy nation. We thought it is very useful day for us.
- We contact many times police officials for our violence, but their action was very low and nil. We people were believing you to change our life from violence. Kindly provide your services continuously for us.
- Here every people have domestic violence problem. Even though we have protection laws and policies for women it should reach to male members in the family. Men only change their behavior to decrease violence against women.
- “Even though I am taking tuition in this village for students I used gender discriminating words. I realized my mistake through attended this meeting. Here after I never use such words”
- Thaas – Cuddalore.
- “We people are living at interior places, sometime our collector also not having knowledge about this village. We thank to you for choose such village and provide such knowledge for us. We request you to provide such knowledge continuously because here women getting too afraid to express their domestic violence”
- Mullai. – Kanchipuram.
- “I will give full freedom to my girl child hereafter. We will avoid our domestic violence in front for our children. Then I got knowledge of PWDVA it is very useful and it is a powerful tool for women”
- Selvi – Karaikal
- “This meeting give different dimension of domestic violence, we don’t know about this kind of remedies available in our society. I should approach you for my violence”
– Ms.Aruna – Thanjavur
- “This workshop give different thinking perspective about gender discrimination. We people not think like that. We really enjoyed and learned from this workshop”
– Anbu, Volunteer
- “This is very new for us to hear about Domestic Violence Act, we don’t think so such act is available for us. Here we have lot of domestic violence issues. So it is very useful to resolve it”
- Kalai, Karaikal
- “God only send to you here. I phased everyday domestic violence in my home. I Thank to you so much for given such knowledge to us” she said
- Here after we will treat our children equally such as will provide equal freedom, equal education and equal food for them. We also try to decrease the violence situation in home
Awareness training and meeting for women in gross root level was given by Dalith Women Development Society in various aspects. In lieu of 16 days campaign a van campaign programme was organized by DWDS jointly with ADECOM network to create Awareness on Domestic Violence against women. It Started from Kottaikadu, Village (Kanchipuram District) and end at Vennagkaupattu Village.The campaign was conducted on 10th December 2016.
The welcome address was given by Komala Head of the DWDS; the Felicitation address was given by Ms. P. Lalidammble, she said women was affected physically and mentally by the social evils conducted to her in the society and home. Women have to develop economically and socially, to avoid violence against them. The van campaign was conducted in 10 villages namely Kottaikadu, Kolathur, Thenpakkam, Chinnakottaikadu Poomikuppam, Vempanr, Kappivakkam, Karumpakkam, Nallur and Vennagkaupattu. The programme was lead by Mrs Raja former councilor.
Discussed content in the programme:
- Women should understand about their child and avoid child marriage in the society
- Should encourage women education and employment to develop women society
- Women have to come out and participate in the informative programmes to know the current situation of the society
- Women should engage her in some work, or to create opportunity for doing self employment
- To stop violence against women, men have to understand women in all levels society, home and workplace.
The programme was arranged by Ms. Komala Head DWDS, 55 men and women members participated in the van campaign programme.
This sensitisation programme was conducted on 18.03.2017 at Sozhatharam village in Cuddalore district. This programme was conducted by the Social Voice of Education Development trust at Cuddalore districts. 76 women and youngsters participated and cooperate with programme.
Objective of Sensitization:
- Create gender sensitization to women and youngsters.
- To discuss the domestic violence issue to Police officials and advocates.
- Create awareness on emergence of taking initiatives for domestic violence.
- Discuss about gender disparity activities followed by family member within home level.
Resource Persons from…
- K. Pazhanisamy, ex MLA,
- P. Kurinjivalavan, Rose organization,
- M. Porselvi, Counselling member of All Women Police Station.
- S. Balaguru, advocate,
- J. Thara, Annai Indira Gandhi social service trust
Discussed Content of Above Resource Persons:
- Gender disparity activities within family level
- Rights of women in the society
- Protection laws of Women
Gender disparity activities within family level:
Parents plays the pivot role to follow the gender roles within family level. Children grown up with strict roles and responsibility in the family by parents. So they also followed such things in their life and applied into society. Parents should treat their children without any gender discrimination – Porselvi, Counselling member of All Women Police Station.
Rights of women in the society
United Nations announced the Women’s rights are known the fundamental human rights. The women rights also included the right to live free from violence, slavery, and discrimination; to be educated; to own property; to vote; and to earn a fair and equal wage. We people not followed those rights due to our patriarchal society. We should change our society by our behavioural change – Kurinji Valavan, Social activists.
Protection laws of Women
We have many women protective acts and laws such as Sexual Harassment act, Dowry act, Child Marriage act, Domestic Violence act, etc., Awareness level of those acts is very low among people. Legal knowledge plays important role to protect women themselves. Protection officers, advocates, polices are working for women protection. So we people should increase our knowledge on those acts – Balaguru, Advocate.
- To give awareness about women decision making
- To provide awareness about understanding of sex and gender
- Discuss about cultural barriers to implement gender equalizing activities.
- To provide awareness on gender equalizing practices such as parenting and house hold sharing.
- To provide awareness about gender sensitization boys and youngsters.
- In this patriarchal society never ever allowed women to take decision whether it is financial and non financial. Even if women go to job or became entrepreneurs her salary should enjoyed by the male member of her family. In this situation ADECOM Network motivate women for their financial decision through to involve collective decision making. At least women should involve the discussions with their spouse and make their interest to know about financial expense. So ADECOM Network give this sensitization to women and men for their mutual understanding.
- People themselves assumed the sex only leads to gender. Due to natural actions in human body people creates the role and responsibility. So ADECOM Network tried to give the understanding about gender and sex.
- Sensitized women mentally prepared to implement the gender equalizing activities at home but elder members in the family not allowed practicing that. So we have to steps forward with these barriers for brought gender equality.
- To create awareness on Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 (PWDVA).
- To create awareness on understanding about Domestic Violence.
- Provide awareness about gender discriminatory activities at home and community level.
- Give sensitization to Community based groups for sensitize their village people on Violence against Women.
- Identify women issues and provide legal service.
- Motivate women to take action against their violence at home and community level.
- Encourage women to involve financial decision at home and community level.
- To discuss about the social protection of women survivors.
- Alcoholism is the essential reason for creating domestic violence at every family. The only solution is women should come forward to became a entrepreneur for manage their economic situation. This only leads to take the financial decision within family and community level.
- Kinds of violence explained that in every community awareness to people is that,
- Dowry harassment
- Sexual abuse
- Psychological abuse
- Physical abuse harassment
- Unsecured abuse for the life and property
- Verbal harassment and intimidating the indicator relations.
- Explained the importance of PWDVA, role of stakeholders to implementation of PWDVA. Then ADECOM Network explained about PWDVA legal procedures to participants particularly about remedies, types of violence, meaning about Domestic Violence.
- Many women didn’t aware about this act and they felt that is not necessary for their family. Women only search such laws at the time of affected by Domestic Violence. Participated women were laughing at the time of expressed this act so from this attitude of women easily shows their ignorance. So awareness of this act is enhancing among village people.
- Our women in society have fixed mindset about stereotype gender roles and responsibilities. So as per that responsibility women should tolerate all dominate attitudes of men. Women also taken this casual attitude in their day today life.
- Women’s view is different about this law due to their more dependent life. That is the reason ADECOM Network team motivated to take financial decision to women. To take financial decision women should involve small business or entrepreneur. This is the task to bring women empowerment in this society.
Base line survey conducted for implements this project effectively at grass root level. The base line survey conducted from 10th – 25th of September 2016. The main objective of base line study is to find out the current statistical situation of working area, to monitor the activities at result based, to find out the new issues and solutions. This base line survey was conducted at following districts through above mentioned partners.
After the base line survey, entered its values in excel sheet to find out the results and for data analysis. This process really helped to introduce this project into the field. From that this project will get positive result at grass root level.
This baseline survey provides useful huge information on violence against women at grass root level. This was a huge task to collect the baseline information from each district (70 villages in 7 districts). It gave quite interesting information which is good to measure the project results can be measure periodically. This survey was carried out NGO representatives with their field workers. This base line survey is the emergence need to analyze the violence situation in each district. Women don’t aware on legal proceedings and remedies.
This is the right time to make awareness on Domestic Violence in villages. Women felt “domestic violence is their personnel problem how should third person interfere to solve that”. Some of the women felt “women should tolerate the domestic violence for their children’s education”. Men felt “family honor is only depend on women, if she is not right or don’t tolerate the violence the family honor getting spoiling”. Some of the men felt “making violence on women is the rights of husband, if he is not done that; he is not a man before society”.
Even though we are giving awareness on gender based violence in some of the districts were not aware much. This survey gave the different experience in field. Women were violated on the basis of poverty, physically challenges, insecurity, orphanage, vengeance of husband’s relations, illiteracy, etc. Non-Government Organization should help to women those who are more ignorance of family structure
Advocates and protection officers also need to enhance their sensitive level on domestic cases. They also support to rebuild the family structure even the women in insecure circumstance. An order copies from court is not sufficient to survivors for their peaceful life unless it implemented. Grass root level field visit and continues counseling only give solution of domestic violence.
During the data collection firm to get answers from married men on domestic violence and house hold sharing. They didn’t understand the purpose the data collection. Some of the men said, “Domestic violence is casual in village, for that why you bring this questionnaire?” men felt it the spontaneous process within the family so they don’t gave proper answers at the time of data collection.
Women getting fear to say their case studies with field worker. Problem will increase if any one neighbor shares this data collecting to their husband. Some of the women till not aware on legal remedies, so they hesitate to go make a complaint in station and in NGO’s also.
Time consumed to collect information from advocate and protection officers. They asked to field coordinators about the data collection purpose, aim and goal. So it takes time to clarify their doubts with Managing Trustee of ADECOM Network.
Very difficult to collect those data within limited budget. Phased difficulties for adopt the volunteers to help with field coordinators. Data entering process also little difficult to write each answers in the open type answering format.
- It is the great opportunity to learn the 7 districts NGO partners on data collection strategies in the field through ADECOM.
- New team members in ADECOM learned the data entering process through this project.
- NGO partners learned some new causes of domestic violence, which is mentioned in the experience part.
- Team learned some legal act and remedies to speak with public during data collection.
- ADECOM team learned the team cooperation and collaboration with 7 NGO partners.
ADECOM Network and Kootukkural Theatre Movement jointly organized the leadership training to Volunteers on May 27th 2017 at Kootukkural Theatre Movement. That time Ms. Nandhini the project manager of ADECOM Network and Mr. Ejumalai the facilitator of Village Training Center gave the orientation of ADECOM’s vision and mission to youngsters. After that the group discussion occurred about village needs and amenities among participants. Notice and note pad given for participants and motivated them.
Auxiliary Nurse Midwife (ANM) plays the pivot role to decrease the domestic violence at grass root level. They played as a strong bridge between community and people. To strengthen their service in field ADECOM Network organized the gender sensitization conference with valuable resource persons on 21.01.2017 at Champer of Commerce in Pondicherry.
- T. Sivakumar, Assistant director of Filed publicity office, Pondicherry, Central government – Open discussion on gender equalizing activities in society & role of ANM to decrease domestic violence.
- E. Pramila Tamizhvanan, Nation awarder, WHO – trainer, Chief nursing officer, Annai Therasa Post Graduate & Research Institute -Awareness on Work place harassment
- Indira Krishnamoorthi, Assistant Professor of School of law in SRM University – Awareness of Protection of Women from Domestic Violence act, (2005 & legal doubts and clarification of ANM
ADECOM Network organized the intensive training to civil society organizations 20th January 2017. This training for organized for strengthen their communication and reporting system.
Partners were actively participated and raised their experience and works in field. Every partners worked out their evening home works sincerely with team. They individually participated in presentations regards training Partners voluntarily told weakens of communication and get solutions from training. It gives very new experience to partners to learn much useful information.