- Incoming of women to the police station is depending on police approach; they have to treat them politely and have to build confidence among them. Police should be ready to file FIR in needed circumstances without any uncertainty. This workshop really used to discuss with police officials that important information. –Inspector Mr. Balachandran
- Police official role and Protection officer role is very essential to decrease violence against women. This workshop gave valuable ideas to participants. We need more group discussions on that – Protection Officer Mr. Ravisankar.
- “This is first time we were participated such debate with Police officials. It is useful to know about difficulties of police officials and impacts of lack of legal knowledge of women survivors”
- Jothi (Leader of “Ariur Pengal Pagutharivu Paralumandram”
- This sensitization programme was given satisfied information, we request you to give such awareness for agricultural also”
- “This workshop really teaches us about gender discrimination at various levels. We should want to change to protect our women”
- We people came to know about the Domestic Violence act. If we have awareness on that earlier we can lost our life, but now it is very useful for my children’s for future. It is useful meeting you conducted here.
- We were got very useful information regarding gender equality here. We people were should understand the social status of women for creating healthy nation. We thought it is very useful day for us.
- We contact many times police officials for our violence, but their action was very low and nil. We people were believing you to change our life from violence. Kindly provide your services continuously for us.
- Here every people have domestic violence problem. Even though we have protection laws and policies for women it should reach to male members in the family. Men only change their behavior to decrease violence against women.
- “Even though I am taking tuition in this village for students I used gender discriminating words. I realized my mistake through attended this meeting. Here after I never use such words”
- Thaas – Cuddalore.
- “We people are living at interior places, sometime our collector also not having knowledge about this village. We thank to you for choose such village and provide such knowledge for us. We request you to provide such knowledge continuously because here women getting too afraid to express their domestic violence”
- Mullai. – Kanchipuram.
- “I will give full freedom to my girl child hereafter. We will avoid our domestic violence in front for our children. Then I got knowledge of PWDVA it is very useful and it is a powerful tool for women”
- Selvi – Karaikal
- “This meeting give different dimension of domestic violence, we don’t know about this kind of remedies available in our society. I should approach you for my violence”
– Ms.Aruna – Thanjavur
- “This workshop give different thinking perspective about gender discrimination. We people not think like that. We really enjoyed and learned from this workshop”
– Anbu, Volunteer
- “This is very new for us to hear about Domestic Violence Act, we don’t think so such act is available for us. Here we have lot of domestic violence issues. So it is very useful to resolve it”
- Kalai, Karaikal
- “God only send to you here. I phased everyday domestic violence in my home. I Thank to you so much for given such knowledge to us” she said
- Here after we will treat our children equally such as will provide equal freedom, equal education and equal food for them. We also try to decrease the violence situation in home
Awareness training and meeting for women in gross root level was given by Dalith Women Development Society in various aspects. In lieu of 16 days campaign a van campaign programme was organized by DWDS jointly with ADECOM network to create Awareness on Domestic Violence against women. It Started from Kottaikadu, Village (Kanchipuram District) and end at Vennagkaupattu Village.The campaign was conducted on 10th December 2016.
The welcome address was given by Komala Head of the DWDS; the Felicitation address was given by Ms. P. Lalidammble, she said women was affected physically and mentally by the social evils conducted to her in the society and home. Women have to develop economically and socially, to avoid violence against them. The van campaign was conducted in 10 villages namely Kottaikadu, Kolathur, Thenpakkam, Chinnakottaikadu Poomikuppam, Vempanr, Kappivakkam, Karumpakkam, Nallur and Vennagkaupattu. The programme was lead by Mrs Raja former councilor.
Discussed content in the programme:
- Women should understand about their child and avoid child marriage in the society
- Should encourage women education and employment to develop women society
- Women have to come out and participate in the informative programmes to know the current situation of the society
- Women should engage her in some work, or to create opportunity for doing self employment
- To stop violence against women, men have to understand women in all levels society, home and workplace.
The programme was arranged by Ms. Komala Head DWDS, 55 men and women members participated in the van campaign programme.
This sensitisation programme was conducted on 18.03.2017 at Sozhatharam village in Cuddalore district. This programme was conducted by the Social Voice of Education Development trust at Cuddalore districts. 76 women and youngsters participated and cooperate with programme.
Objective of Sensitization:
- Create gender sensitization to women and youngsters.
- To discuss the domestic violence issue to Police officials and advocates.
- Create awareness on emergence of taking initiatives for domestic violence.
- Discuss about gender disparity activities followed by family member within home level.
Resource Persons from…
- K. Pazhanisamy, ex MLA,
- P. Kurinjivalavan, Rose organization,
- M. Porselvi, Counselling member of All Women Police Station.
- S. Balaguru, advocate,
- J. Thara, Annai Indira Gandhi social service trust
Discussed Content of Above Resource Persons:
- Gender disparity activities within family level
- Rights of women in the society
- Protection laws of Women
Gender disparity activities within family level:
Parents plays the pivot role to follow the gender roles within family level. Children grown up with strict roles and responsibility in the family by parents. So they also followed such things in their life and applied into society. Parents should treat their children without any gender discrimination – Porselvi, Counselling member of All Women Police Station.
Rights of women in the society
United Nations announced the Women’s rights are known the fundamental human rights. The women rights also included the right to live free from violence, slavery, and discrimination; to be educated; to own property; to vote; and to earn a fair and equal wage. We people not followed those rights due to our patriarchal society. We should change our society by our behavioural change – Kurinji Valavan, Social activists.
Protection laws of Women
We have many women protective acts and laws such as Sexual Harassment act, Dowry act, Child Marriage act, Domestic Violence act, etc., Awareness level of those acts is very low among people. Legal knowledge plays important role to protect women themselves. Protection officers, advocates, polices are working for women protection. So we people should increase our knowledge on those acts – Balaguru, Advocate.
Sub Inspector of Police Ms. Agalya requested to ADECOM Network to organize the discussion with police officials on Violence against women. For that, ADECOM conducted the debate session with Police officials from “All women Police Station” at Villianur on 30.11.2016.
Sub Inspector of Police Ms. Agalya, Protection Officer Mr. Soundharrajan, advocate Mr. Perumal and Mr. Sivakumar, Karunai Trust the Non Government Organization, members from Annal Ambedkar Women Rationalistic Movement, the women movements of Pengal Paguthirivu Paralumandram, Women victims and Social activists participated and made a debate with police officials on violence against women.
Discussed content content:
- Normally, the women survivors not ready to file their complaint. They only expect illegal helps from police such as organize marriage, call to perpetrators to investigate without complaint, to beat their husband without complaint, etc., this kind of attitude create many issues within police department. So women should know about their rights and legal procedures.
- The permanent “Service Center” should create in each police station to give counseling to such women. This service Center will help to decrease the violence against women.
- Women were got more fear at the time of facing problem. They should act as brave and bold to solve the problem with legal way.
- Police departments and Voluntary Organization should take initiatives to help such survivors to decrease violence against women.
- ADECOM Network is ready to provide its services for women at any time with department of Police officials.
- Police officials should refer the women cases to Protection Officer and Service Providers. They will reduce the impact of violence through periodical counseling.
- Women should become the empowered women through learn the legal rights and legal procedures. ADECOM give continuously leadership training and legal camp for women to equip themselves in society.
Women victims and members from women movements actively participated. Participants raised questions on violence against women to police officials directly. The programme was organized by members of ADECOM team and Kootukural Theater Moment with Police officials from all women police station Villianur. Above 50 participants participated and get aware on initiatives at the time of violence
One day Workshop on “Issues Faced by Women & Responsibilities of Police”
Introduction: ADECOM Network organized the one day workshop for police officials with Department of Police, Karaikal. That workshop was conducted on November 18th 2016 about “Issues Faced by Women & Responsibilities of Police”. There were 140 police officials participated and discussed about women issues and their responsibilities.
Objective of one day workshop
- Enhance the awareness on effective implementation of Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005.
- Enhance the awareness on effective implementation of Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO) 2012.
- Discuss with the Police Officials about current judgment on Domestic Violence cases.
- Discuss about barriers of Police Officials to deal with Domestic Violence cases in the field.
Resource Person from:
- Senior Superintendent of police Mr. V.J. Chandran
- Managing Trustee Ms. Ms Lalidamballe
- Superintendent of Police Mr. Gunasekaran
- Advocate Mr. E.Martin Santhome
- Advocate Mr. Seenu. Perumal
- Even though we have many acts for women protection, women not able to enjoy their equal rights in the society. Police department should increase the security measures for women.
- Lacking of economic independence and social dependence of women are the main reason for domestic violence, though women development is increasing in all aspects, still it has to be widened. Once her economic status is developed, she can take her own decision and can raise questions against their violence.
- Women have capability to tackle the problem naturally rather than man. They should enhance their awareness and updating knowledge on society, it should lead to decrease the violence against women.
- Police responsibility is plays pivot role for economic and social independence of women. We can enhance and motivate the police responsibilities through such workshops.
Objective of Home visit:
- To identify domestic violence issue at grass root level.
- To create awareness on PWDVA
- To encourage women headed organization for their movements.
- Motivate women to take individual decision at home level
- Encourage women to take financial decision at home level
Process of Home visit:
- ADECOM Network discuss with its partners about its purpose of home visit. Then each partner gives their schedules on home visit after discus with village people.
- Then ADECOM team goes to organization and conduct home visit. During the home visit, team explains to villagers at every home about domestic violence.
- It also helps to people to overcome from their gender roles and discrimination.
- Likewise, ADECOM Network did its home visit to all working districts.
ADECOM Network and Kootukkural Theatre Movement jointly organized the leadership training to Volunteers on May 27th 2017 at Kootukkural Theatre Movement. That time Ms. Nandhini the project manager of ADECOM Network and Mr. Ejumalai the facilitator of Village Training Center gave the orientation of ADECOM’s vision and mission to youngsters. After that the group discussion occurred about village needs and amenities among participants. Notice and note pad given for participants and motivated them.
ADECOM Network has been organized a great event on 23rd March for the sustainability of the women affected by the domestic violence in Pondicherry. Hon’ble chief minister was inaugurated the integrated service for the Women’s rehabilitation center for the first time in Pudhucherry. View of Honorable Chief Minister: The Honorable chief minister has been given a special speech on “Though the Government is putting a lot of efforts, still the non-governmental organization should give their support to reduce the domestic violence against Women. Chief Minister promised that the government would be fully cooperated to the women’s social and economic development. At last, he focused on ADECOM Network that they will give the protection and security for women. This center will be reviewed by the Puducherry government periodically. The Honorable Chief Guest Mr. Neelagangadharan, Deputy Chairman of the Pudhucherry State,
Mr. M.N.R.Balan (Member of the Legislative Assembly, Uzhavarkarai, Mr.N.K.Perumal (Senior Lawyer) , The Patron Mrs.K.Shankari , Mrs. Daisy Rani, State President of “Annal Ambedkar Pengal Pagutharivu Iyyakkam
Auxiliary Nurse Midwife (ANM) plays the pivot role to decrease the domestic violence at grass root level. They played as a strong bridge between community and people. To strengthen their service in field ADECOM Network organized the gender sensitization conference with valuable resource persons on 21.01.2017 at Champer of Commerce in Pondicherry.
- T. Sivakumar, Assistant director of Filed publicity office, Pondicherry, Central government – Open discussion on gender equalizing activities in society & role of ANM to decrease domestic violence.
- E. Pramila Tamizhvanan, Nation awarder, WHO – trainer, Chief nursing officer, Annai Therasa Post Graduate & Research Institute -Awareness on Work place harassment
- Indira Krishnamoorthi, Assistant Professor of School of law in SRM University – Awareness of Protection of Women from Domestic Violence act, (2005 & legal doubts and clarification of ANM