- Incoming of women to the police station is depending on police approach; they have to treat them politely and have to build confidence among them. Police should be ready to file FIR in needed circumstances without any uncertainty. This workshop really used to discuss with police officials that important information. –Inspector Mr. Balachandran
- Police official role and Protection officer role is very essential to decrease violence against women. This workshop gave valuable ideas to participants. We need more group discussions on that – Protection Officer Mr. Ravisankar.
- “This is first time we were participated such debate with Police officials. It is useful to know about difficulties of police officials and impacts of lack of legal knowledge of women survivors”
- Jothi (Leader of “Ariur Pengal Pagutharivu Paralumandram”
- This sensitization programme was given satisfied information, we request you to give such awareness for agricultural also”
- “This workshop really teaches us about gender discrimination at various levels. We should want to change to protect our women”
- We people came to know about the Domestic Violence act. If we have awareness on that earlier we can lost our life, but now it is very useful for my children’s for future. It is useful meeting you conducted here.
- We were got very useful information regarding gender equality here. We people were should understand the social status of women for creating healthy nation. We thought it is very useful day for us.
- We contact many times police officials for our violence, but their action was very low and nil. We people were believing you to change our life from violence. Kindly provide your services continuously for us.
- Here every people have domestic violence problem. Even though we have protection laws and policies for women it should reach to male members in the family. Men only change their behavior to decrease violence against women.
- “Even though I am taking tuition in this village for students I used gender discriminating words. I realized my mistake through attended this meeting. Here after I never use such words”
- Thaas – Cuddalore.
- “We people are living at interior places, sometime our collector also not having knowledge about this village. We thank to you for choose such village and provide such knowledge for us. We request you to provide such knowledge continuously because here women getting too afraid to express their domestic violence”
- Mullai. – Kanchipuram.
- “I will give full freedom to my girl child hereafter. We will avoid our domestic violence in front for our children. Then I got knowledge of PWDVA it is very useful and it is a powerful tool for women”
- Selvi – Karaikal
- “This meeting give different dimension of domestic violence, we don’t know about this kind of remedies available in our society. I should approach you for my violence”
– Ms.Aruna – Thanjavur
- “This workshop give different thinking perspective about gender discrimination. We people not think like that. We really enjoyed and learned from this workshop”
– Anbu, Volunteer
- “This is very new for us to hear about Domestic Violence Act, we don’t think so such act is available for us. Here we have lot of domestic violence issues. So it is very useful to resolve it”
- Kalai, Karaikal
- “God only send to you here. I phased everyday domestic violence in my home. I Thank to you so much for given such knowledge to us” she said
- Here after we will treat our children equally such as will provide equal freedom, equal education and equal food for them. We also try to decrease the violence situation in home
This sensitisation programme was conducted on 18.03.2017 at Sozhatharam village in Cuddalore district. This programme was conducted by the Social Voice of Education Development trust at Cuddalore districts. 76 women and youngsters participated and cooperate with programme.
Objective of Sensitization:
- Create gender sensitization to women and youngsters.
- To discuss the domestic violence issue to Police officials and advocates.
- Create awareness on emergence of taking initiatives for domestic violence.
- Discuss about gender disparity activities followed by family member within home level.
Resource Persons from…
- K. Pazhanisamy, ex MLA,
- P. Kurinjivalavan, Rose organization,
- M. Porselvi, Counselling member of All Women Police Station.
- S. Balaguru, advocate,
- J. Thara, Annai Indira Gandhi social service trust
Discussed Content of Above Resource Persons:
- Gender disparity activities within family level
- Rights of women in the society
- Protection laws of Women
Gender disparity activities within family level:
Parents plays the pivot role to follow the gender roles within family level. Children grown up with strict roles and responsibility in the family by parents. So they also followed such things in their life and applied into society. Parents should treat their children without any gender discrimination – Porselvi, Counselling member of All Women Police Station.
Rights of women in the society
United Nations announced the Women’s rights are known the fundamental human rights. The women rights also included the right to live free from violence, slavery, and discrimination; to be educated; to own property; to vote; and to earn a fair and equal wage. We people not followed those rights due to our patriarchal society. We should change our society by our behavioural change – Kurinji Valavan, Social activists.
Protection laws of Women
We have many women protective acts and laws such as Sexual Harassment act, Dowry act, Child Marriage act, Domestic Violence act, etc., Awareness level of those acts is very low among people. Legal knowledge plays important role to protect women themselves. Protection officers, advocates, polices are working for women protection. So we people should increase our knowledge on those acts – Balaguru, Advocate.
- To give awareness about women decision making
- To provide awareness about understanding of sex and gender
- Discuss about cultural barriers to implement gender equalizing activities.
- To provide awareness on gender equalizing practices such as parenting and house hold sharing.
- To provide awareness about gender sensitization boys and youngsters.
- In this patriarchal society never ever allowed women to take decision whether it is financial and non financial. Even if women go to job or became entrepreneurs her salary should enjoyed by the male member of her family. In this situation ADECOM Network motivate women for their financial decision through to involve collective decision making. At least women should involve the discussions with their spouse and make their interest to know about financial expense. So ADECOM Network give this sensitization to women and men for their mutual understanding.
- People themselves assumed the sex only leads to gender. Due to natural actions in human body people creates the role and responsibility. So ADECOM Network tried to give the understanding about gender and sex.
- Sensitized women mentally prepared to implement the gender equalizing activities at home but elder members in the family not allowed practicing that. So we have to steps forward with these barriers for brought gender equality.
Objective of Home visit:
- To identify domestic violence issue at grass root level.
- To create awareness on PWDVA
- To encourage women headed organization for their movements.
- Motivate women to take individual decision at home level
- Encourage women to take financial decision at home level
Process of Home visit:
- ADECOM Network discuss with its partners about its purpose of home visit. Then each partner gives their schedules on home visit after discus with village people.
- Then ADECOM team goes to organization and conduct home visit. During the home visit, team explains to villagers at every home about domestic violence.
- It also helps to people to overcome from their gender roles and discrimination.
- Likewise, ADECOM Network did its home visit to all working districts.
- To create awareness on Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 (PWDVA).
- To create awareness on understanding about Domestic Violence.
- Provide awareness about gender discriminatory activities at home and community level.
- Give sensitization to Community based groups for sensitize their village people on Violence against Women.
- Identify women issues and provide legal service.
- Motivate women to take action against their violence at home and community level.
- Encourage women to involve financial decision at home and community level.
- To discuss about the social protection of women survivors.
- Alcoholism is the essential reason for creating domestic violence at every family. The only solution is women should come forward to became a entrepreneur for manage their economic situation. This only leads to take the financial decision within family and community level.
- Kinds of violence explained that in every community awareness to people is that,
- Dowry harassment
- Sexual abuse
- Psychological abuse
- Physical abuse harassment
- Unsecured abuse for the life and property
- Verbal harassment and intimidating the indicator relations.
- Explained the importance of PWDVA, role of stakeholders to implementation of PWDVA. Then ADECOM Network explained about PWDVA legal procedures to participants particularly about remedies, types of violence, meaning about Domestic Violence.
- Many women didn’t aware about this act and they felt that is not necessary for their family. Women only search such laws at the time of affected by Domestic Violence. Participated women were laughing at the time of expressed this act so from this attitude of women easily shows their ignorance. So awareness of this act is enhancing among village people.
- Our women in society have fixed mindset about stereotype gender roles and responsibilities. So as per that responsibility women should tolerate all dominate attitudes of men. Women also taken this casual attitude in their day today life.
- Women’s view is different about this law due to their more dependent life. That is the reason ADECOM Network team motivated to take financial decision to women. To take financial decision women should involve small business or entrepreneur. This is the task to bring women empowerment in this society.
Auxiliary Nurse Midwife (ANM) plays the pivot role to decrease the domestic violence at grass root level. They played as a strong bridge between community and people. To strengthen their service in field ADECOM Network organized the gender sensitization conference with valuable resource persons on 21.01.2017 at Champer of Commerce in Pondicherry.
- T. Sivakumar, Assistant director of Filed publicity office, Pondicherry, Central government – Open discussion on gender equalizing activities in society & role of ANM to decrease domestic violence.
- E. Pramila Tamizhvanan, Nation awarder, WHO – trainer, Chief nursing officer, Annai Therasa Post Graduate & Research Institute -Awareness on Work place harassment
- Indira Krishnamoorthi, Assistant Professor of School of law in SRM University – Awareness of Protection of Women from Domestic Violence act, (2005 & legal doubts and clarification of ANM
Karaikkal Nov18: Police department is working very close to the society. They are dealing with violence against women at home and community level. They have to acquire more knowledge on PWDVA (Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005). In this regard one day workshop was conducted by ADECOM Network and Karaikkal Police Department on 18.11.2016 to 98 police officials from Karaikkal Police Department.
Economic independence and social independence only lead to create the equal society. Women should enhance their awareness level to reduce the crime against them in society. Police Officials have essential responsibilities to reducing violence and protecting women from violence. The police officials should help to effective execution of PWDVA. To reducing violence against women in karaikkal Women Protection Mission has been formed in schools said, Senior Superintendent of police Mr. V.J. Chandran in his presidential address.
In working place, men have to treat woman with Gender sensitive manner. Men should come forward to struggle for violence against women in the society. He should support for women equality and equity. Police officials have to support for women victims for getting their justice in the society. They should analyze the cases with gender sensitive manner said, Managing Trustee Ms. Lalidamballe in her Key note address.
Karaikkal police department is working for reduce the violence against women and initiatives taking for women protection. Cooperation of public and social organizations like ADECOM Network is played pivot role to reduce violence against women in the society. Many acts and amendments emerge in the constitution for women security so police officials should learn those acts and aware on violence against women said, Superintendent of Police Mr. Gunasekaran in his speech.
Sexual abuse is not only the force to sexual relationship, even unwanted touching, pulling, pushing, and unwanted verbal conversation is also considered as sexual abuse. Parents and social organizations should teach to children about good touch and bad touch. They should create awareness about child abuse in the society said, Advocate Mr. E.Martin Santhome in his discussion on Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act – 2012.
Advocate Mr. Seenu Perumal explained through visual aid about the Domestic Violence act, he explained, beneficiaries by the act, how to make complaint and whom to approach in domestic violence cases. Police official’s plays important role on implement of court order on PWDVA. Police officials should enhance the awareness on DIR (Domestic Interim Report) and they support to women victim when they are getting residential order. He also clarified the questions raised from police officials about PWDVA.
The workshop was conducted on Friday (18.11.2016) at National Mahal Kottucherry Karaikal. Sub Inspector Mr. Perumal help to organize that workshop. 98 Polices, Superintendent of police Mr. Vamishidara Reddy, Police official Sridhar, Inspectors, Sub-Inspectors, men and women police, Protection Officer Mr.Ravichandiran and Social activist Ms. Padmini participated in that workshop. Vote of thanks was given by Co-Ordinator of ADECOM Network D. Arivoucany. ADECOM Network Project Manager Ms. Nandhini and Psychologist Ms. Sivapriya participated in that workshop.
Annal Ambedkar Women Rationalistic Movement release the election manifesto at press meets on 31st of March 2016 at press club. This manifesto for especially for elected nominated parties in Tamilnadu and Puducherry. This manifesto underlines that women should vote only to those political parties which announce 33 percent reservation for them.
One of the important key personnel of PWDVA (Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005) is police officials in the society. To increase the effectiveness of that act, ADECOM conduct the one day workshop on “responsibilities of police for facing women problem” at Mother Theresa Post graduate and research institute of Health Science, Pondicherry.
Women survivors have more hope on the department of police till now, police officials should retain their reliability among people. Women phase more sexual violence, physical violence, domestic violence and verbal violence in society. Department of police should support that women survivors and keep their reliability on legal system said by the Ms. Muthamma IAS, Secretary to the government Art and Culture, Pondicherry.
Normally women getting compromised on domestic problem, when women approached the police station for domestic or gender based violence, police should realize the seriousness of the issue. Women police should take more care on women survivor; they should talk and give more counseling to women survivor. Women police officials should know all the acts, rules and regulations because; due to the hesitation of women survivor, they first approach the women polices in informal way so women police should have clarity on the acts and articles said by the V.J. Chandhran SSP (senior superintendent of police).
Women police should enhance their brave and boldness. They should not get fear at any situation in the society. They should keep their professional ethics to become a good police official. Police officials should know the calriety of some important acts, it is very essential to keep their effective jobs in department of police, at the same time they should not fully depend on theoretical knowledge, they should learn from practical issues said by the Additional superintendent of police Ms. Anusuya, Tamilnadu.
Police officials should treat the survivor without class, caste and gender discrimination. But now a day’s police officials are ill treating the women survivor, they should enhance their gender sensitivity and they should give indepth counseling to women survivor, when we give more counseling to women survivor they will their deep problem of domestic violence, it will use to file the strong case on perpetrators said by Ms. Ezhil karolin, advocate, high court.