Awareness training and meeting for women in gross root level was given by Dalith Women Development Society in various aspects. In lieu of 16 days campaign a van campaign programme was organized by DWDS jointly with ADECOM network to create Awareness on Domestic Violence against women. It Started from Kottaikadu, Village (Kanchipuram District) and end at Vennagkaupattu Village.The campaign was conducted on 10th December 2016.
The welcome address was given by Komala Head of the DWDS; the Felicitation address was given by Ms. P. Lalidammble, she said women was affected physically and mentally by the social evils conducted to her in the society and home. Women have to develop economically and socially, to avoid violence against them. The van campaign was conducted in 10 villages namely Kottaikadu, Kolathur, Thenpakkam, Chinnakottaikadu Poomikuppam, Vempanr, Kappivakkam, Karumpakkam, Nallur and Vennagkaupattu. The programme was lead by Mrs Raja former councilor.
Discussed content in the programme:
- Women should understand about their child and avoid child marriage in the society
- Should encourage women education and employment to develop women society
- Women have to come out and participate in the informative programmes to know the current situation of the society
- Women should engage her in some work, or to create opportunity for doing self employment
- To stop violence against women, men have to understand women in all levels society, home and workplace.
The programme was arranged by Ms. Komala Head DWDS, 55 men and women members participated in the van campaign programme.
This sensitisation programme was conducted on 18.03.2017 at Sozhatharam village in Cuddalore district. This programme was conducted by the Social Voice of Education Development trust at Cuddalore districts. 76 women and youngsters participated and cooperate with programme.
Objective of Sensitization:
- Create gender sensitization to women and youngsters.
- To discuss the domestic violence issue to Police officials and advocates.
- Create awareness on emergence of taking initiatives for domestic violence.
- Discuss about gender disparity activities followed by family member within home level.
Resource Persons from…
- K. Pazhanisamy, ex MLA,
- P. Kurinjivalavan, Rose organization,
- M. Porselvi, Counselling member of All Women Police Station.
- S. Balaguru, advocate,
- J. Thara, Annai Indira Gandhi social service trust
Discussed Content of Above Resource Persons:
- Gender disparity activities within family level
- Rights of women in the society
- Protection laws of Women
Gender disparity activities within family level:
Parents plays the pivot role to follow the gender roles within family level. Children grown up with strict roles and responsibility in the family by parents. So they also followed such things in their life and applied into society. Parents should treat their children without any gender discrimination – Porselvi, Counselling member of All Women Police Station.
Rights of women in the society
United Nations announced the Women’s rights are known the fundamental human rights. The women rights also included the right to live free from violence, slavery, and discrimination; to be educated; to own property; to vote; and to earn a fair and equal wage. We people not followed those rights due to our patriarchal society. We should change our society by our behavioural change – Kurinji Valavan, Social activists.
Protection laws of Women
We have many women protective acts and laws such as Sexual Harassment act, Dowry act, Child Marriage act, Domestic Violence act, etc., Awareness level of those acts is very low among people. Legal knowledge plays important role to protect women themselves. Protection officers, advocates, polices are working for women protection. So we people should increase our knowledge on those acts – Balaguru, Advocate.
Sub Inspector of Police Ms. Agalya requested to ADECOM Network to organize the discussion with police officials on Violence against women. For that, ADECOM conducted the debate session with Police officials from “All women Police Station” at Villianur on 30.11.2016.
Sub Inspector of Police Ms. Agalya, Protection Officer Mr. Soundharrajan, advocate Mr. Perumal and Mr. Sivakumar, Karunai Trust the Non Government Organization, members from Annal Ambedkar Women Rationalistic Movement, the women movements of Pengal Paguthirivu Paralumandram, Women victims and Social activists participated and made a debate with police officials on violence against women.
Discussed content content:
- Normally, the women survivors not ready to file their complaint. They only expect illegal helps from police such as organize marriage, call to perpetrators to investigate without complaint, to beat their husband without complaint, etc., this kind of attitude create many issues within police department. So women should know about their rights and legal procedures.
- The permanent “Service Center” should create in each police station to give counseling to such women. This service Center will help to decrease the violence against women.
- Women were got more fear at the time of facing problem. They should act as brave and bold to solve the problem with legal way.
- Police departments and Voluntary Organization should take initiatives to help such survivors to decrease violence against women.
- ADECOM Network is ready to provide its services for women at any time with department of Police officials.
- Police officials should refer the women cases to Protection Officer and Service Providers. They will reduce the impact of violence through periodical counseling.
- Women should become the empowered women through learn the legal rights and legal procedures. ADECOM give continuously leadership training and legal camp for women to equip themselves in society.
Women victims and members from women movements actively participated. Participants raised questions on violence against women to police officials directly. The programme was organized by members of ADECOM team and Kootukural Theater Moment with Police officials from all women police station Villianur. Above 50 participants participated and get aware on initiatives at the time of violence
- To give awareness about women decision making
- To provide awareness about understanding of sex and gender
- Discuss about cultural barriers to implement gender equalizing activities.
- To provide awareness on gender equalizing practices such as parenting and house hold sharing.
- To provide awareness about gender sensitization boys and youngsters.
- In this patriarchal society never ever allowed women to take decision whether it is financial and non financial. Even if women go to job or became entrepreneurs her salary should enjoyed by the male member of her family. In this situation ADECOM Network motivate women for their financial decision through to involve collective decision making. At least women should involve the discussions with their spouse and make their interest to know about financial expense. So ADECOM Network give this sensitization to women and men for their mutual understanding.
- People themselves assumed the sex only leads to gender. Due to natural actions in human body people creates the role and responsibility. So ADECOM Network tried to give the understanding about gender and sex.
- Sensitized women mentally prepared to implement the gender equalizing activities at home but elder members in the family not allowed practicing that. So we have to steps forward with these barriers for brought gender equality.
After identification of domestic violence issue ADECOM Network provide its services to women survivors by following procedure, at following dates 18.11.2016 at Villupuram district through RYET, 21.11.2016 at Thanjavur district through WEDSS, 22.11.2016 at Karaikal district through WEST, 25.11.2016 at, Thiruvannamalai district through PARAI, 29.11.2016 at Cuddalore district through SVED, 28.11.2016 at Kanchipuram district through DWDS and 30.11.2016 at Pondicherry district through KK
Procedure to provide services:
Visit the organization to collect basic details of victim. Then team collected information about the main cause of problem. Visit the women survivor and discuss about her domestic violence issue. After discuss her problem, analyze the case study with advocate of ADECOM to suggest the solution. With help of advocate ADECOM team provide the legal and psychological counseling to women survivor. Follow up the case study periodically to sustain the services and to reduce the violence against women.
Example case study from Thanjavur district:
Before life of counseling: Ms. Saranya (Name Changed) aged at 32 belongs to Schedule Cast. She got married and now she is 3 month pregnant. The problem was, her mother in law make continues conflict due to her possessiveness on her son. She continuously restricts their marriage relationship. Her husband also scolds and used abusive words. At a point of time, her husband sent her to her mother’s home at 11:00pm. So she got angry and stopped to speak with him from last 3 month (October – December). She lived separately with her mother’s home.
During at counseling: ADECOM team identified this issue with help of its partner in Thanjavur district. After analyzing of case details ADECOM legal consultant Mr. Perumal gave legal counseling to that survivor. Before that ADECOM psychologist Ms. Sivapriya gave psychological counseling to that survivor.
After life of counseling: After the counseling the survivor contacted her husband through phone. Now they are joined together and lead a happy life.
Objective of Home visit:
- To identify domestic violence issue at grass root level.
- To create awareness on PWDVA
- To encourage women headed organization for their movements.
- Motivate women to take individual decision at home level
- Encourage women to take financial decision at home level
Process of Home visit:
- ADECOM Network discuss with its partners about its purpose of home visit. Then each partner gives their schedules on home visit after discus with village people.
- Then ADECOM team goes to organization and conduct home visit. During the home visit, team explains to villagers at every home about domestic violence.
- It also helps to people to overcome from their gender roles and discrimination.
- Likewise, ADECOM Network did its home visit to all working districts.
- To create awareness on Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 (PWDVA).
- To create awareness on understanding about Domestic Violence.
- Provide awareness about gender discriminatory activities at home and community level.
- Give sensitization to Community based groups for sensitize their village people on Violence against Women.
- Identify women issues and provide legal service.
- Motivate women to take action against their violence at home and community level.
- Encourage women to involve financial decision at home and community level.
- To discuss about the social protection of women survivors.
- Alcoholism is the essential reason for creating domestic violence at every family. The only solution is women should come forward to became a entrepreneur for manage their economic situation. This only leads to take the financial decision within family and community level.
- Kinds of violence explained that in every community awareness to people is that,
- Dowry harassment
- Sexual abuse
- Psychological abuse
- Physical abuse harassment
- Unsecured abuse for the life and property
- Verbal harassment and intimidating the indicator relations.
- Explained the importance of PWDVA, role of stakeholders to implementation of PWDVA. Then ADECOM Network explained about PWDVA legal procedures to participants particularly about remedies, types of violence, meaning about Domestic Violence.
- Many women didn’t aware about this act and they felt that is not necessary for their family. Women only search such laws at the time of affected by Domestic Violence. Participated women were laughing at the time of expressed this act so from this attitude of women easily shows their ignorance. So awareness of this act is enhancing among village people.
- Our women in society have fixed mindset about stereotype gender roles and responsibilities. So as per that responsibility women should tolerate all dominate attitudes of men. Women also taken this casual attitude in their day today life.
- Women’s view is different about this law due to their more dependent life. That is the reason ADECOM Network team motivated to take financial decision to women. To take financial decision women should involve small business or entrepreneur. This is the task to bring women empowerment in this society.
Base line survey conducted for implements this project effectively at grass root level. The base line survey conducted from 10th – 25th of September 2016. The main objective of base line study is to find out the current statistical situation of working area, to monitor the activities at result based, to find out the new issues and solutions. This base line survey was conducted at following districts through above mentioned partners.
After the base line survey, entered its values in excel sheet to find out the results and for data analysis. This process really helped to introduce this project into the field. From that this project will get positive result at grass root level.
This baseline survey provides useful huge information on violence against women at grass root level. This was a huge task to collect the baseline information from each district (70 villages in 7 districts). It gave quite interesting information which is good to measure the project results can be measure periodically. This survey was carried out NGO representatives with their field workers. This base line survey is the emergence need to analyze the violence situation in each district. Women don’t aware on legal proceedings and remedies.
This is the right time to make awareness on Domestic Violence in villages. Women felt “domestic violence is their personnel problem how should third person interfere to solve that”. Some of the women felt “women should tolerate the domestic violence for their children’s education”. Men felt “family honor is only depend on women, if she is not right or don’t tolerate the violence the family honor getting spoiling”. Some of the men felt “making violence on women is the rights of husband, if he is not done that; he is not a man before society”.
Even though we are giving awareness on gender based violence in some of the districts were not aware much. This survey gave the different experience in field. Women were violated on the basis of poverty, physically challenges, insecurity, orphanage, vengeance of husband’s relations, illiteracy, etc. Non-Government Organization should help to women those who are more ignorance of family structure
Advocates and protection officers also need to enhance their sensitive level on domestic cases. They also support to rebuild the family structure even the women in insecure circumstance. An order copies from court is not sufficient to survivors for their peaceful life unless it implemented. Grass root level field visit and continues counseling only give solution of domestic violence.
During the data collection firm to get answers from married men on domestic violence and house hold sharing. They didn’t understand the purpose the data collection. Some of the men said, “Domestic violence is casual in village, for that why you bring this questionnaire?” men felt it the spontaneous process within the family so they don’t gave proper answers at the time of data collection.
Women getting fear to say their case studies with field worker. Problem will increase if any one neighbor shares this data collecting to their husband. Some of the women till not aware on legal remedies, so they hesitate to go make a complaint in station and in NGO’s also.
Time consumed to collect information from advocate and protection officers. They asked to field coordinators about the data collection purpose, aim and goal. So it takes time to clarify their doubts with Managing Trustee of ADECOM Network.
Very difficult to collect those data within limited budget. Phased difficulties for adopt the volunteers to help with field coordinators. Data entering process also little difficult to write each answers in the open type answering format.
- It is the great opportunity to learn the 7 districts NGO partners on data collection strategies in the field through ADECOM.
- New team members in ADECOM learned the data entering process through this project.
- NGO partners learned some new causes of domestic violence, which is mentioned in the experience part.
- Team learned some legal act and remedies to speak with public during data collection.
- ADECOM team learned the team cooperation and collaboration with 7 NGO partners.
Chiguru Trust working for women empowerment in Karnataka state. Meetings, workshops and public programme conducted at village level and state level for empowerment of women.
In this regard, ADECOM Network had given the opportunity to Chiguru to conduct campaign on Violence against Women (VAW). Chiguru conducted the Empowerment of Girl Child Education conference on 27th of November in KGF (Kolar Gold Field) at Karnataka.
The meeting was welcomed by Managing Trustee of Chiguru Trust Ms. Prabavathi with her team. This conference session was opened by the social activist Mr. Charles Finney. Then this session was continued by given presidential speech by the Managing Trustee of ADECOM Network Ms. P. Lalidamballe. The gender equality ideas shared by the Project Manager of ADECOM Network Ms. V. Nandhini and this conference was successfully ended by given valedictory speech by the team member of Chiguru Trust Ms. Vennila. This conference organized by the ADECOM Network and team members of Chiguru trust with 42 women and girls. Press people covered this conference and assured to release an article in Karnataka. Participants actively participated. Express their views on violence against women and gender equality.
- Women have all empowerment, braveness and boldness in the society to handle any situation. Our patriarchy system and traditional values only restrict to practice it.
- Women should come forward to show their talents and their potential in front of society. Then only we can achieve the women empowerment.
- From long years ago, there is no way to express the women issue into society. Now a day’s media help to women to explore their problems and issues. So women should enhance their knowledge on society.
- Parents should give more importance to their girl child education. It only the powerful tool to reduce the violence against women.
- In Karnataka state have high number of child abuse and very low sex ratio than other states. People should cooperate to change this dangerous situation. Through creating awareness on education and girl child birth we can change this society.
- The root cause of violence against women is start from gender disparity activity at home and community level. So parents should treat their children without any gender discrimination.