ADECOM Network conducted the cultural campaign on Violence against Women at Thanjavur district through Women Education Development Social Service on 25.11.2017.
In this campaign the discrimination activities and kinds and violence against women are printed in the banner. The team member covered the interior villages to create violence against women. During that programme drama, motivational songs are displayed for understand of people in easy way. There were more than 350 people got aware and understand about violence against women and how to approach for their solution for violence.
ADECOM Network conducted the group meeting on violence against women at Madhanapalli through the partner from Rural Development Society at Madhanapalli, Andhra Pradesh. This group meeting was conducted at Govt. women Degree College there are more than 50 students participated and get awareness about women issues.
Students actively participated and clarified their doubts on right based issues. Social activists, college managements and volunteers also involved in this meeting.
Awareness training and meeting for women in gross root level was given by Dalith Women Development Society in various aspects. In lieu of 16 days campaign a van campaign programme was organized by DWDS jointly with ADECOM network to create Awareness on Domestic Violence against women. It Started from Kottaikadu, Village (Kanchipuram District) and end at Vennagkaupattu Village.The campaign was conducted on 10th December 2016.
The welcome address was given by Komala Head of the DWDS; the Felicitation address was given by Ms. P. Lalidammble, she said women was affected physically and mentally by the social evils conducted to her in the society and home. Women have to develop economically and socially, to avoid violence against them. The van campaign was conducted in 10 villages namely Kottaikadu, Kolathur, Thenpakkam, Chinnakottaikadu Poomikuppam, Vempanr, Kappivakkam, Karumpakkam, Nallur and Vennagkaupattu. The programme was lead by Mrs Raja former councilor.
Discussed content in the programme:
- Women should understand about their child and avoid child marriage in the society
- Should encourage women education and employment to develop women society
- Women have to come out and participate in the informative programmes to know the current situation of the society
- Women should engage her in some work, or to create opportunity for doing self employment
- To stop violence against women, men have to understand women in all levels society, home and workplace.
The programme was arranged by Ms. Komala Head DWDS, 55 men and women members participated in the van campaign programme.
This sensitisation programme was conducted on 18.03.2017 at Sozhatharam village in Cuddalore district. This programme was conducted by the Social Voice of Education Development trust at Cuddalore districts. 76 women and youngsters participated and cooperate with programme.
Objective of Sensitization:
- Create gender sensitization to women and youngsters.
- To discuss the domestic violence issue to Police officials and advocates.
- Create awareness on emergence of taking initiatives for domestic violence.
- Discuss about gender disparity activities followed by family member within home level.
Resource Persons from…
- K. Pazhanisamy, ex MLA,
- P. Kurinjivalavan, Rose organization,
- M. Porselvi, Counselling member of All Women Police Station.
- S. Balaguru, advocate,
- J. Thara, Annai Indira Gandhi social service trust
Discussed Content of Above Resource Persons:
- Gender disparity activities within family level
- Rights of women in the society
- Protection laws of Women
Gender disparity activities within family level:
Parents plays the pivot role to follow the gender roles within family level. Children grown up with strict roles and responsibility in the family by parents. So they also followed such things in their life and applied into society. Parents should treat their children without any gender discrimination – Porselvi, Counselling member of All Women Police Station.
Rights of women in the society
United Nations announced the Women’s rights are known the fundamental human rights. The women rights also included the right to live free from violence, slavery, and discrimination; to be educated; to own property; to vote; and to earn a fair and equal wage. We people not followed those rights due to our patriarchal society. We should change our society by our behavioural change – Kurinji Valavan, Social activists.
Protection laws of Women
We have many women protective acts and laws such as Sexual Harassment act, Dowry act, Child Marriage act, Domestic Violence act, etc., Awareness level of those acts is very low among people. Legal knowledge plays important role to protect women themselves. Protection officers, advocates, polices are working for women protection. So we people should increase our knowledge on those acts – Balaguru, Advocate.
Sub Inspector of Police Ms. Agalya requested to ADECOM Network to organize the discussion with police officials on Violence against women. For that, ADECOM conducted the debate session with Police officials from “All women Police Station” at Villianur on 30.11.2016.
Sub Inspector of Police Ms. Agalya, Protection Officer Mr. Soundharrajan, advocate Mr. Perumal and Mr. Sivakumar, Karunai Trust the Non Government Organization, members from Annal Ambedkar Women Rationalistic Movement, the women movements of Pengal Paguthirivu Paralumandram, Women victims and Social activists participated and made a debate with police officials on violence against women.
Discussed content content:
- Normally, the women survivors not ready to file their complaint. They only expect illegal helps from police such as organize marriage, call to perpetrators to investigate without complaint, to beat their husband without complaint, etc., this kind of attitude create many issues within police department. So women should know about their rights and legal procedures.
- The permanent “Service Center” should create in each police station to give counseling to such women. This service Center will help to decrease the violence against women.
- Women were got more fear at the time of facing problem. They should act as brave and bold to solve the problem with legal way.
- Police departments and Voluntary Organization should take initiatives to help such survivors to decrease violence against women.
- ADECOM Network is ready to provide its services for women at any time with department of Police officials.
- Police officials should refer the women cases to Protection Officer and Service Providers. They will reduce the impact of violence through periodical counseling.
- Women should become the empowered women through learn the legal rights and legal procedures. ADECOM give continuously leadership training and legal camp for women to equip themselves in society.
Women victims and members from women movements actively participated. Participants raised questions on violence against women to police officials directly. The programme was organized by members of ADECOM team and Kootukural Theater Moment with Police officials from all women police station Villianur. Above 50 participants participated and get aware on initiatives at the time of violence
One day Workshop on “Issues Faced by Women & Responsibilities of Police”
Introduction: ADECOM Network organized the one day workshop for police officials with Department of Police, Karaikal. That workshop was conducted on November 18th 2016 about “Issues Faced by Women & Responsibilities of Police”. There were 140 police officials participated and discussed about women issues and their responsibilities.
Objective of one day workshop
- Enhance the awareness on effective implementation of Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005.
- Enhance the awareness on effective implementation of Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO) 2012.
- Discuss with the Police Officials about current judgment on Domestic Violence cases.
- Discuss about barriers of Police Officials to deal with Domestic Violence cases in the field.
Resource Person from:
- Senior Superintendent of police Mr. V.J. Chandran
- Managing Trustee Ms. Ms Lalidamballe
- Superintendent of Police Mr. Gunasekaran
- Advocate Mr. E.Martin Santhome
- Advocate Mr. Seenu. Perumal
- Even though we have many acts for women protection, women not able to enjoy their equal rights in the society. Police department should increase the security measures for women.
- Lacking of economic independence and social dependence of women are the main reason for domestic violence, though women development is increasing in all aspects, still it has to be widened. Once her economic status is developed, she can take her own decision and can raise questions against their violence.
- Women have capability to tackle the problem naturally rather than man. They should enhance their awareness and updating knowledge on society, it should lead to decrease the violence against women.
- Police responsibility is plays pivot role for economic and social independence of women. We can enhance and motivate the police responsibilities through such workshops.
After identification of domestic violence issue ADECOM Network provide its services to women survivors by following procedure, at following dates 18.11.2016 at Villupuram district through RYET, 21.11.2016 at Thanjavur district through WEDSS, 22.11.2016 at Karaikal district through WEST, 25.11.2016 at, Thiruvannamalai district through PARAI, 29.11.2016 at Cuddalore district through SVED, 28.11.2016 at Kanchipuram district through DWDS and 30.11.2016 at Pondicherry district through KK
Procedure to provide services:
Visit the organization to collect basic details of victim. Then team collected information about the main cause of problem. Visit the women survivor and discuss about her domestic violence issue. After discuss her problem, analyze the case study with advocate of ADECOM to suggest the solution. With help of advocate ADECOM team provide the legal and psychological counseling to women survivor. Follow up the case study periodically to sustain the services and to reduce the violence against women.
Example case study from Thanjavur district:
Before life of counseling: Ms. Saranya (Name Changed) aged at 32 belongs to Schedule Cast. She got married and now she is 3 month pregnant. The problem was, her mother in law make continues conflict due to her possessiveness on her son. She continuously restricts their marriage relationship. Her husband also scolds and used abusive words. At a point of time, her husband sent her to her mother’s home at 11:00pm. So she got angry and stopped to speak with him from last 3 month (October – December). She lived separately with her mother’s home.
During at counseling: ADECOM team identified this issue with help of its partner in Thanjavur district. After analyzing of case details ADECOM legal consultant Mr. Perumal gave legal counseling to that survivor. Before that ADECOM psychologist Ms. Sivapriya gave psychological counseling to that survivor.
After life of counseling: After the counseling the survivor contacted her husband through phone. Now they are joined together and lead a happy life.